OUR FIRST 100 YEARS, 1906 - 2006
1906 Dunedin City’s first plantation forest was planted around the Ross Creek Reservoir with 15,540 pines, spruce, ash and birch.
1908 Douglas fir seedlings imported from the USA.
1910 Land purchased at Whare Flat for forestry development.
1914 Planting began on Flagstaff.
1915 Land at Bethunes Gully purchased for forestry development.
1917 Plantings began at Sullivans Dam.
1924 Planting began at Waipori.
1931 The milestone of planting 1000 acres (404ha) was reached (628,000 trees).
1970 Clear-felling of all blocks to meet Japanese export demands.
1980 Dunedin City Council formed the DCC Forestry Department, transferring the management of forest assets from the DCC Parks & Recreation Department.
1990 City Forests Limited (CFL) formed from the DCC Forestry Department and operated independently as a subsidiary of Dunedin City Holdings Limited.
2001 Forest Stewardship Council certification awarded to CFL. CFL reached the milestone of harvesting over 100,000 cubic metres of timber in a single year (121,600cu3).
2003 Silverpeaks Forest purchased (1,968ha).
2006 CFL acquired 830ha forest at Nobleburn and Kaitangata. CFL celebrated its centennial.
A comprehensive history of City Forests is available as a size A3 sheet in PDF format. DOWNLOAD